Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Under the weather

I have the "this time of year crud" as I like to call it. I was thinking today that I really do get this stuff about this time each year. I should be better prepared. Anyway, I called to go see the doctor this morning but couldn't get in today. What is the next best medicine? Homemade Soup! I made some yummy vegetable soup that is sure to make me feel better.


I thought I would share the recipe. My mother in law is a fantastic cook and shared her recipe with me. It is delicious and easy... the two most important characteristics of anything I cook. It also freezes well.

Mary Hellen's Vegetable Soup

1 Package of Stew Meat


1 Bag of Egg Noodles


1 Can of Tomato Juice


1 Can Whole Tomatoes (not drained)


1 Can of Corn (drained)


1 Can of Carrots (drained)


1 Can of Green Beans (drained)


1 Stalk of celery diced


1 Onion diced


1 Beef Bullion Cube


1 Teaspoon of Tony Chachere Seasoning


1 Teaspoon Sugar


Salt and Pepper to taste

Chop onion and celery and trim excess fat from stew meat. Combine in pot and brown. Then cover in water and boil until meat, onion, and celery are tender.

Add all ingredients (expect noodles) and bring to boil. Boil for 5 minutes then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 25-30 minutes.

Cook noodles in separate pot, drain, and add as much as you like to soup.

*Note: the first time I made this soup I thought that Tomato Juice was the same as Tomato sauce. It's not. It is sold on the juice aisle and comes in a soda can. I am sure that most normal people know that... but I didn't. :)

0 comments: