Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Doggie Breath is great


Eugene and I went to eat sushi and see Marley and Me last night. He gave me the book last year for Christmas and I read it in 2 days… so needless to say I have been DYING to see the movie. I knew that it would be a TJ (tear jerker) as we say in my family, but I had to see it.

As I told Eugene after the movie, I haven’t cried that hard in a movie since Titanic. My poor bother can attest that crying fit. He was so embarrassed. What can I say; I was 17 and a hopeless romantic. The thought of Jack and Rose being robbed of their new love was totally overwhelming to me. Ok, enough of that back to Marley.

The movie was great and really tugged at your heartstrings if you are a dog lover. We know that pets aren't people, but I think they really can bring out the best in anyone! Here are just a few reasons that Eugene and I are BIG TIME dog lovers.

The beginning of the love affair: Eugene and Sam when he was a little bitty puppy

1. We often have a 110 lb 5 foot long dog sleeping in the middle of us in a queen sized bed. No, you are right… there isn’t enough room. But, we love it.
2. Sam has total run of our house. I am sure it annoying to some, but he is our baby.
3. Everyone that meets him first says, WOW that is a big dog. Then it is immediately followed by but he is so pretty or he is so sweet… and he is!
4. He loves to snuggle, spoon to be exact.
5. We are pretty sure we now speak dog. Sam will make certain noises and we think we know what he means. Silly I know… but like I said we love this guy!
6. When he drinks water he slings it everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. He drinks with such vigor that water is usually all over the floor and dripping down his fur. He doesn’t use his manners when someone is standing near either… wet feet are often in house.
7. He loves to play tug of war. He can pull me like a skier if I have on socks and he is holding the rope toy. Watch out 2010 Winter Olympics. We may have coined a new sport!
8. If you so much as mention the word “outside” he will jump up ready to go even from a dead sleep.
9. He knows when we don’t feel well… he once laid right outside of our room like he was guarding us for hours when Eugene and I both had the stomach virus.
10. He loves us unconditionally. Wherever we are, he wants to be with us… and we feel the same.



"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. -John Grogan (author of Marley and Me)


HAPPY BIRTHDAY (YESTERDAY) TO OUR WONDERFUL PUPPY!

5 comments:

The Quinns said...

I made the mistake of reading Marley and Me in my first trimester- i am now dying to see the movie but at 9 months prego I just don't think I can sit that long and really- after watching P.S. I Love You while pregnant as well, I should know better! I had to stop the movie and unload the dishwasher to compose myself-and I had read that book too so I shouldn't have been surprised! Anyway- I'll have to wait till the hormones are back in line but I can't wait- and Happy Birthday Sam I hope he enjoyed his chicken and cottage cheese cake! (you weirdo)

Unknown said...

first of all i cried like a baby while ready the book. i should have known better. well, trey and i went and we both sobbed like babies. trey was so embarrassed that he was crying. he tried to cover it up. such a dog lover. then we came home and took sophie to the park and wouldn't stop snuggling with her. i was an emotional wreak for the rest of the day.
just thought i would share.

happy birthday, sam!

The Benjamins said...

Loved the movie too! John and I both were crying!

Ashley said...

Oh I love your post about your baby! You and your husband have a very similar relationship with your dog as we have with ours. I am a fast reader and now a big dog lover so I started reading Marley and me. I read this book quickly as you did but I can't bring myself to finish it! Marley is getting old and is going to die soon I know and I cry every time I try to finish the book. I think going to see the movie will be too much for me =0).

Unknown said...

I haven't seen the movie yet and have intentionally waited because I didn't know if I could handle it. Now you make me want to go this minute!