Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

MMMM, Good!

Two funny stories… in college my roommate Gracie and I decided that we were going to cook dinner. So, after much time on the phone with both of our mothers, we thought we could handle baking chicken. Well, much to our dismay, the Pyrex dish that the chicken was in exploded in the oven. I think, if my memory serves me correct, we still ate the chicken until Gracie’s mom called mid way through dinner to ask how it turned out. When Gracie explained to her what happened but that were still eating the chicken, I thought her mother was going to come through the phone and do the Heimlich maneuver on both of us. She was quite concerned we had eaten glass. Why we didn’t think of that… I’m not sure. Anyway, to this day, I have no idea why that dish exploded.

Then, my parents were up visiting me in Jackson, TN a few months before Eugene and I got married. We decided to go to dinner at Outback. As we are sitting there waiting on our food no doubt munching on a blooming onion the discussion of me having to cook soon came up. I quickly declared to my dad who seemed to doubt my Julia Child abilities, that I could make great spaghetti. All you did was dump the Prego can in a dish and heat it in the microwave, add to noodles and vwa la. Spaghetti. He just sat across the table from me with this smirk on his face. When I questioned his smirk, he said, “what about the meat?’ I replied, what meat? So, the moral of this story, WHO KNEW THAT THERE WAS HAMBURGER MEAT IN SPAGHETTI? I had a long way to go.

I am proud to say that I now make some fabulous homemade spaghetti thanks to my sweet Maw Maw’s recipe and have made drastic improvements in the cooking department since those days. I thought I would share this recipe with my blogging viewers. It is seriously the BEST chocolate pie ever. This is the same pie that is served at Paula Deen’s restaurant Lady and Sons. It takes about 10 minutes to make (not counting cooking time.) The top is like that flakey consistency like the top of a brownie. mmmm, good!


Old-Fashioned Fudge Pie

2 squares (2-ounces) semisweet chocolate 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter 1 cup sugar 2 eggs, beaten 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove the pan from the heat and add the sugar, then the eggs; beat well. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 25 minutes or until just set. Serve warm or cold, with ice cream or whipped cream.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Emily Fowler said...

OMG, I totally left the meat out too once. Matt's little brother was like, "Where is the meat." I have left the noodles out of lasagna too.

Anonymous said...

my husband is the cook in our household. he won't even let me in the kitchen when he is "creating" his culinary masterpiece. i won't say i can't cook, because i can, but i tend to not follow recipes to a T. things turn out interesting for me, but definitely still edible. i'm in the same boat. i've gotten better but still have a LONG way to go :)